I am having one of those “My computer won’t recognize my camera” kind of days 😦 – probably time for a new cable. Its a little frustrating as I had a new recipe to post. I recently read Celeste’s post on tips for bloggers and one of them was to be regular with the posts. So I decided to post a recipe that I already had posted on my facebook page months back. Seasonally, it could be a little early for thick and rich soup as the evenings are not that cold yet, at least in my part of the world, but hey…we are almost there. So, here it is :
(Originally posted on my facebook page on January 17, 2013)
I fell in love with this soup, the first time I tried it in Panera Bread. Such a warm, comfy soup – perfect for the cold evenings. This is quite a rich soup, I made it for dinner this evening, and thats all we had. It is so filling. Now the kids want every wednesday to be “Just soup for dinner” day. 🙂
- Veggies you’ll need : Broccoli, yellow/white onions and carrots.
- For the soup :
- sharp cheddar
- Half & Half milk – 2 cups
- butter – 1/2 stick
- all purpose flour (maida)- 1/4cup
- chicken broth or vegetable broth – 4 cups
- Salt & Pepper
- garlic paste or ginger garlic paste or garlic powder
- nutmeg or a pinch of garam masala or pumpkin pie spice mix
- Heat a tbsp. of butter in a skillet and sauté the veggies with a tsp of garlic or ginger garlic paste or garlic powder. Add a pinch of nutmeg or garam masala or pumpkin pie spice mix. Add a pinch of salt too.
- Cook until the veggies turn soft, remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt 4tbsp of butter in a soup pot ( I am using a shallow pan for easy pictures)
- sprinkle the flour and whisk to make a smooth paste..
- Dilute the paste by adding half and half milk , little at a time and stirring to keep the mix smooth and lump free.
- Add in the chicken or vegetable stock. Add black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg or garam masala or all spice or pumpkin pie spice . ( I used pumpkin pie spice). I wouldn’t add more salt now, as I already salted the veggies, and the stock has salt in it too.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the sautéed veggies to the soup and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Grate the cheddar.
- Mix in the cheddar and simmer for 10 minutes.
- The soup should not be brought to a boil at anytime. Simmer all the way from start to finish.
Treat yourself to this heart-warming soup 🙂
- Broccoli Cheese Soup/Creamy Broccoli Soup (decadencedonelite.com)
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup (biscuitsncrazy.com)
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup (deliciousdessertsrecipes.com)
- Lowfat Broccoli and Cheddar Soup (delishdlites.com)
- Broccoli, Cheese and Potato Soup (bakingbitchesandtheirsundayshenanigans.wordpress.com)