Stuffed Parathas are great all-in-one meals, specially to pack for kids’ lunches. Easy for us to make, easy for the kids to eat, its a win-win situation. This recipe uses chicken filling. However, veggie fillings are equally (if not more) delightful. My favorite is grated cauliflower stuffing. You can check out the cauliflower filling recipe in my Gobi Sliders post.
To make the parathas , you will need :
- Whole wheat flour /Atta – 3 cups (makes about 12 stuffed parathas)
- salt – 2 tsp
- oil – 3 tsp
To make the filling, you will need :
- Minced Chicken – 1 lb
- Onions – 1 chopped
- Green chillies – 1 chopped
- Cilantro – handful
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
- Fennel – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 3 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Here are the steps:
- Mix the flour, salt and oil and then add water and knead it to a smooth dough. Cover with wet cloth or wet paper towel and set aside for 2 hours.
- To make the filling : In a pot, add 2 tsp of oil, fry the fennel. Then saute the chopped onions, green chillies and cilantro. Also add the ginger garlic paste and saute until the flavors come out.
- Add the ground chicken and sprinkle some salt.
- When the juices come out, add turmeric, chilli powder and garam masala.
- Cook until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. This won’t take long, may be 7 – 8 minutes. Set the filling aside.
- Make even sized balls out of the dough that has been rested.
- Roll out 2 balls to about 2 inches in diameter (like puris). Place the filling on one.
- Cover the filling with the other puri and twist and press the edges together for sealing.
- Now roll out this stuffed puri gently to about 4-5 inches in diameter. Make sure the filling is evenly spread, and not clunked up on one side.
- Heat a skillet and cook the parathas.
- Cook both sides until brown spots appear. You can rub with little oil or dab with a butter stick.
The chicken parathas are ready, serve hot with your favorite curry. ( I served it with a simple egg white curry).
- Pack your knives for “Paneer-stuffed paratha” (rhema3one7.wordpress.com)
- Spicy Omelet served on a Paratha (desipalate.wordpress.com)
- Lachha / Multi layered Paratha!!!!! (mysouthernflavours.wordpress.com)
- Mighty Kale Paratha (365daysveg.wordpress.com)
- Aloo Parantha (vijayasrasoi.wordpress.com)
- Paneer Capsicum Paratha (casuallycookingwithbinu.wordpress.com)
- Aloo Paratha (Flat Bread Stuffed with Spicy Potatoes) (skinnychefdecuisine.wordpress.com)
- Aloo Paratha (tanuskitchen.wordpress.com)