Its quick, its fresh, its nutty, its light…so why not ? Coconut rice is one of the many quick and easy variety rice recipes. I love the flexibility it offers : got some leftover rice and trying to make a meal out of it without sweating much or make an exotic aromatic party food, coconut rice will be your best friend 🙂 . Whether you go for simplicity or embellish it to the core, this flavor packed rice will take you to your happy place.
You will need :
- Rice – 1 cup
- Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
- Green chillies – 3
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
- Peanuts – 1/4 cup
- Cashew – 1/4 cup
- Mixed vegetables – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Cook rice by your preferred method. You can also use leftover rice. Adding a tsp of oil to the water while boiling rice helps the grains to stay separate.
- Grind green chillies and ginger along with a few peanuts to a coarse mix. It doesn’t have to be a paste, just grind enough to blend everything. Else, you can just finely mince the chillies and ginger.
- In a wok, add a tbsp of oil (preferably coconut oil or sesame oil) and fry the mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal and the curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds splutter and the dals turn golden add the peanuts and cashewnuts.
- When the nuts turn slightly golden add the mixed vegetables. This is optional,I prefer adding a lot of veggies to the rice, so that I can skip making a side 🙂 . Sprinkle some salt and cook for two minutes and then add the ground green chillies+ginger paste.
- Once the green chillies and ginger paste coats all the vegetables add the cooked rice to the wok, reduce heat and mix well.
- Check for seasoning, add salt if needed. Three green chillies should pack enough punch, but if you need more heat you can add red pepper flakes. Finally add the grated coconut and mix with rice thoroughly, remove from heat after a minute.
- You can also toast the coconut before adding to the rice. While it deepens the flavor, I feel that freshness is compromised. You can try both ways and see which you would prefer.
While the cold, windy weather and the 5 p.m. dark skies keep warning about the bitter winter, it feels like spring in my kitchen and thats what matters, right ?
- Coconut Rice (chefbb.wordpress.com)
- Dunar Basmati Rice with Coconut and Lime (onlinebasmatirice.wordpress.com)
- Lemon Rice (subbuskitchen.com)
- Tamarind Rice(strawberrylentils.com)