Happy Independence Day to everyone celebrating ! Here is a 100% vegetarian/vegan burger recipe using cauliflower. This is a very simple recipe, packed with flavors and texture.
- Cut the cauliflower into big chunks and then grate them.
- Just cauliflower is enough, but I just plucked some fresh beans, so I am going to throw them in too. Also I am going to grate a medium potato for texture.
- Also chop 1 medium size onion, 1 green chilli and a few mint leaves. You can use herb of your choice.
- In a pan , heat a tbsp of oil and fry 1 tsp of fennel seeds.
- Saute the onions , green chilli, and mint. After the onions become translucent, add a tsp. of ginger garlic paste and fry.
- Add the green beans and sprinkle some salt to sweat them.
- After a minute add the grated potatoes.
- Add the cauliflower at last as they will cook in no time. Add some salt and pepper, cover and cook for two minutes.
- Once the cauliflower softens add 3 tsp. of red chilli powder (more or less according to your heat preference) and 1 tsp of garam masala. You can also add a tsp. of turmeric powder.
- Mix everything together and allow to cook for 2 more minutes. Everything will blend together and roll like a ball. Turn off the heat and let it cool down for 5 – 10 minutes. Then squeeze in the juice of 1/2 lemon for some acid.
- When the mixture is completely cooled down, shape them into patties. I am using small slider buns , so I made small patties.
- Heat oil in a skillet, and place the patties gently. It is okay if the patties don’t perfectly hold together.
- After a minute flip the patties gently. Using two spatulas works well. The top and the bottom should crisp, while the middle remains soft and juicy.
- Toast the slider buns and place the patties in between. I just topped them with red chilli sauce as the patties themselves are full of flavor. But you can use any condiment you like.
The mixture can also be used as a stuffing for parathas or filling for samosas and ravioli. So leftovers are perfectly fine 🙂